Jagger & Richard. October 17, 1961. Train to Dartford. The origins of the Rolling Stones.
Photo: Helmut Newton for Universal.
There goes my post devoted to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones. As for me, to say all that I want to say here is simply impossible. Then, I prefer to focus this post in a song: "I'm Alright" (LP: Got life if you want it!, 1966). Although this song appeared in the above cited LP, was played since 1963 by them, and remains for some people as a phantom song of The Rolling Stones. They currently played others songs in their live concerts, but we can see this pure and rare garage song in some concerts before its recording, facing their fascination for Bo Didley:
- APRIL 28, 1963 CRAWDADDY CLUB, STATION HOTEL, RICHMOND, SURREY. Sung the 13th of 15 songs.
- APRIL 21, 1963 CRAWDADDY CLUB, STATION HOTEL, RICHMOND, SURREY, Producer: Giorgio Gomelski; Engineer: R.G. Jones. Sung the 2nd of 2 songs.
- APRIL 26, 1964 NME POLL WINNERS CONCERT, EMPIRE POOL, WEMBLEY, MIDDLESEX, Hosts: D.J. David Jacobs and Jimmy Saville. Sung the 3rd of 3 songs.
- The T.A.M.I. Show. Celebrated at The Santa Monica Civic Auditorium (California), during October 28-29, 1964. The TAMI Show (Teen Awards Music International, or Teen Age Music International) was filmed and launched in December 29, 1964. The Rolling apeared after the AMAZING appearance of James Brown, and sung "I'm alright" at the end.
- AUGUST 7, 1964 THE 4TH NATIONAL JAZZ & BLUES FESTIVAL, ATHLETIC ASSOCIATIONGROUNDS, RICHMOND, SURREY. Sung the 4th of 4 songs.
- SEPTEMBER 5 – OCTOBER 11, 1964 THE SET, BRITISH TOUR. 7th song of 8.
- OCTOBER 31, 1964 SWING AUDITORIUM, SAN BERNARDINO, CALIFORNIA. 3th of 7 songs.
- 1964 Oslo oldham's crazies shows. Celebrated in Messehallen (Oslo, Norway) the June, 4, 1964, during their 3th European Tour. A disturbing act!
- MARCH 5-18, 1965 THE SET, BRITISH TOUR. 5th of 10 songs.
- APRIL 9, 1965 “READY, STEADY, GO!”, AR TV SHOW, WEMBLEY, MIDDLESEX. 3rd of 3 songs.
- APRIL 18, 1965 L’OLYMPIA, PARIS
- April, 11th, 1965, The new Musical Express poll-winners all-star concert, Wembley Arena, England.
- APRIL 25, 1965 MAPLE LEAF GARDENS, TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA
- MAY 16, 1965 CIVIC AUDITORIUM, LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA
In June 11, 1965 is recorded LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! (EP), DECCA DFE 8620 (UK), Producer:
Andrew L. Oldham; Engineer: Glyn Johns. The Rolling Stones sung this song 14 times before its record!!
"I'm Alright" is a cover of one of their major references: Bo Didley. He recorded this song in 1963, with a live version, the only one we have: Bo Diddley · Bo Diddley's Beach Party, LP, 1963. But let us listen good music and see good videos.
Download Bo Didley (Original)
Download Rollig's cover
The TAMI Show (11.30 to 14.46)